Danelle Spence R. Psych.
Extensive volunteering pursued, a short 7-year pit stop in the teaching profession then psychological internships and residencies followed. Lo and behold, my Registered Psychologist status. I had achieved my Allan Thicke dream. I hope my passion for psychology rooted in 22 years of daydreaming, dedication, and hard-work can benefit those I will work with.
- I have completed three degrees: B.Sc, B.ED, MA in Counselling Psychology
- I have been a Registered Psychologist for 11 years
- I was a teacher for 7 years (grades 3-9)
- I consider myself an Interpersonal Neuropsychologist
- I am obsessed with the human brain and how it functions
- I am an active member within the counselling process – I often say it like it is!
- My experience is varied, but I love coaching parents and working with teenagers
- My areas of specialization are: eating disorders, anxiety & self-harm
- A new passion for me is: Teens and Technology – and how to best navigate this
- I enjoy abstract painting, road biking and drinking lots of coffee
Other Credentials & Qualifications
- Registered Psychologist (2008)
- Brain Story Certification – 30 hrs
- EMDR Level 1 Basic Training
- EMDR Advanced Training: Strategic Developmental Model
- Emotion-Focused Therapy Level 1
- Treatment of Adolescent Eating Disorders Integrating Emotion-Focused Therapy and Family Based Therapy
- Healing the Caregiver System: Using EMDR therapy
- “Going Back to Get on Track”: Healing Powers of Carers, Emotion-Focused Family Therapy for Eating Disorders Across the Life Span
- A Day of Learning with Bruce Perry
- Youth Addiction and Mental Health Lecture – Dr. Alfgeir Kristjansson
- A Knowledge Exchange Forum on Brain and Mental Health in Children
- Concussion: prevention, detection and management – A 6-week online course
- 2 Day Postive Psychology Conference, June 2019
Practical Brain Science Webinar Series:
- “The Brain In Two Places: Inside Your Head, Embedded in the World” – Daniel Siegel
- “Unlocking the Enormous Potential of Neuroplasticity” – Norman Doidge
- “How Good Experiences Can Transform the Brain” – Rick Hanson
The Long-Winded Version
I am a Registered Psychologist in the province of Alberta and a member of the College of Alberta Psychologists. As a Registered Psychologist, I am committed and dedicated to providing confidential, professional psychological services to my clients, according to the highest ethical standards of my profession.
I have had a passion for psychology and the developing brain, rooted in 22 years of experience working with children and adolescents. I have worked in schools, hospitals, correctional facilities, eating disorder centers, a specialist center for adolescent girls, walk-in clinics and crisis centers.
My university experience consists of both an Education degree and a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology, from the University of Calgary. I then completed a Master of Arts degree in Counselling Psychology from Gonzaga University.
After many years within the education system working as a teacher and guidance counsellor, I then pursued my dream of becoming a Registered Psychologist. Once this was accomplished, I spent 6 years as part of a private practice team at a specialist center for teenage girls and their families. It was only recently that I decided to combine my passions for psychology and education and joined an amazing team of professionals working as a school counsellor at Rundle College in Calgary Alberta.